Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Fourth Trimester Survival Gear

This is a list of things that I came up with my “Must Haves/Survival Gear”. The things that got us through those superfuntimes first 90 days. And I know that there is lots of info on the internet and everyone has an opinion and it kinda comes down to what you want and how you wanna do things and sometimes you just wanna figure it out on your own. So take it all with a grain of salt. (Except swaddling, you are crazy if you don't swaddle).

1. Breastfeeding pillow. - I have the jolly jumper boomerang, the key being the boomerang shape and the thickness is good for us ladies with long torso’s (go for a thinner one if you’ve got a shorter torso). Lovelovelove it. So many uses: dinner table, desk, baby sitter. Another nice and thick one is the nook niche, but it is slightly more expensive.

2. Swaddle. - This actually might even be our number one thing, we used them so much we wore through the velcro on several of them. Have a couple extra incase they shit or puke on one (and they will), you have a backup. And swaddle them super tight. Babies are houdini’s, they will wiggle themselves out of it so we would swaddle Jack ridiculously tight. Sometimes even double swaddle. My fav brand is Summer/SwaddleMe with velcro. 

3. Bouncy chair. - Almost every baby loves the rocking motion of the bouncy chair, Jack would even sleep in his for most of his naps before we started sleep training him. We borrowed ours from a friend and ended up with two, one that lays flatter and one that sits up higher. If I was to buy one I would go for a Baby Bjorn, it has adjustable settings for sitting up high and lying flat. They are a bit pricey but are worth it.

4. Snacks. - Must have for breastfeeding and especially during the night. Preferably hand-held. Muffins and cookies are great because you use a lot of calories breast-feeding. I made several batches of fibery morning glory muffins and froze them and Cord would heat them up for me when I was nursing. Also have a water bottle by your nursing station or several, as soon as baby latches it sucks plasma from your blood into your bewbies and your mouth instantly gets parched.

5. Nursing bra/tanks - I lived in these for the first couple of weeks. Post-partum body is so lumpy and swollen and you sweat and get milk and barf all over you, it’s nice to be in something comfy and easy access for nursing. I got a bunch from thyme, motherhood, and from walmart. A cozy housecoat is also nice.

6. Nipple cream - I liked the Medela Tender Care, the Lanisnoh is thicker which can be nice sometimes (both are lanolin based). I would also put coconut oil on before every single feed and the Medela cream on post. I was deathly afraid of cracked and bleeding nips.


No comments:

Post a Comment