Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Hey Tartine, put it in your pie-hole.

I recently got back into making No-Knead Bread because I was forced to. 

We used to buy our bread down the street at Tartine and don't get me wrong, the bread there is fabulous. It's artisanal, it's crusty, it has a great crumb and I friggen love it's white doughiness. But half the time you show up they don't have bread made. And it's not because they've sold out. I am not shitting you, I've gone there at 7 am, 9 am, 5pm, you name it- any hour of the day and it's a 50/50 crapshoot whether they have bread or not. 


I'm not sure if the owners knew this when they opened a bakery, but someone needs to get their ass out of bed at 4am and start baking some bread! Additional evidence that the place is poorly run is the fact that the service can be horrendous. Sometimes the young women behind the counter are nice but the older staff are brutal. I swear the only reason they are open is because they are the only place in the neighbourhood where you can get coffee. 


After getting bread-blocked I have officially boycotted Tartine and gone back to making No-Knead Bread. And really I am just waiting for the Vancouver House development to be built across the street and a superior bakery to swoop in and run them into the ground. (Fingers crossed that it's Purebread!).


Really I should be thankful, I am thoroughly enjoying this new yeasty calling. 


I make the bread every three days or so and it's so easy it doesn't even make any sense. 
All you need is a dutch oven, I use a le creuset but any old pyrex with a lid will do. Four ingredients! Flour - Yeast - Salt - Water. 

This is the recipe I use - 

You can read more about it here : Sullivan Street Bakery No Knead Bread

I mix it in the evening, any time between 5 and 8 pm and let it proof overnight. And then the next morning, usually 12-14 ish hours later I fold it over for it's second proof, which is only an hour or two. 


It's a very forgiving recipe and technique and it makes amazing crusty bread, you really have to try it! I love how the smell of it baking fills my whole apartment,  I love the sound of the crust cracking as it cools on the counter, and I love how a warm buttery slice fresh out of the oven melts in your mouth. 



This is it's nice bubbly top after 12 hours or so.


Then you plop it on the counter over some flour/cornmeal.


And you fold it into a nice little package.


And BAMMO!
Look at that beautiful crack!



Breadgasms. That's what those little holes are called. 


Sometimes it doesn't look the prettiest, but who gives a flying fart. 







Tartine Bread and Pies on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Oh nice! Good looking bread! What kind of pan do you bake it in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bake it in a enamel coated cast iron dutch oven, but any pyrex with a lid will do. The key is the lid, it makes a fake little steam oven.

    ReplyDelete